Position Details: Principal Engineer - Network Planning and Optimization
Work for a cutting edge stage start-up focusing on developing a new class of disruptive services. This role involves the design, optimization, and use of Federated Wireless’s Spectrum Access System Network Planning Application. Tasks relate to multiple aspects of network planning including site selection and network configuration, RF field optimization, and interference measurement/tracking. The ideal candidate would be self-motivated and independent, working well in a fast-paced start-up environment.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Develop in C/C++/Matlab cellular network, propagation/link budget, and quality/coverage/capacity optimization routines for Shared Spectrum (e.g., 3.5 GHz) network planning purposes and refine based on measurements (e.g., drive testing)
- Apply propagation theory, cellular theory, optimization routines, RF tools, and antenna theory to choose cell site locations and placement.
- Leverage databases for terrain, buildings, and environmental parameters for use in network planning software development
- Perform capacity planning, frequency planning and carrier/interference (C/I) ratio analysis
- Interact with partners and customers to describe modeling approach and results and enhance application based on feedback
- Work closely with market project managers/deployment engineers during site selection and acquisition processes
- Work closely with other system engineers responsible for Spectrum Access System (SAS) development
- Ability to program effectively in C/C++ and Matlab, ideally making use of distributed computing algorithms
- MS or PhD in Electrical Engineering or related field with strong theoretical background in wireless communications theory
- 5-7 years of experience with cellular network design and optimization. Familiarity with network planning applications such as Mentum Planet.
- Detailed knowledge of 3GPP LTE standards
- LTE Layer 2/Layer 3 understanding and modeling capability, e.g., MAC, scheduler, RRM, SON, and RRC
- Experience working on LTE small cells/DAS systems ... and high density cellular network deployment
- Experience with mapping software such as MapInfo, ArcGIS, ...
- Experience with databases such as USGS(U.S. Geological Survey) National Geologic Map Database used in propagation analysis
- Understanding of optimization algorithms such as random search (e.g., genetic algorithms)
- Understanding of and experience with use of propagation models such as Irregular Terrain Model (ITM) and ray-tracing
- Experience working in an agile (scrum) development environment with Revision/Source Control
- Arlington, VA
- Travel may be required as deemed necessary to the growth and expansion of the Company