Principal Engineer, System Architecture Standards
Federated Wireless develops technologies that maximize the utilization of spectrum resources, further advancing the wireless revolution. We are seeking an experienced and accomplished technologist to join our team. This role will champion technology and standards development through collaboration with Federated Wireless’s engineering team. The Principal Engineer will play an integral role in pioneering the development and promotion of system architecture technologies to further shared spectrum ecosystem innovation. This position reports to the Director of Technology and Standards.
* Investigate system architecture, L2/L3 network design, features, cognitive radio, and security topics in relation to the development and expansion of the spectrum sharing ecosystem.
* Study system architecture features relevant to Next Generation Wireless systems (e.g. 5G) and spectrum sharing framework.
* Provide theoretical analysis, lead innovative technical solution design and simulation, and support Intellectual Property development.
* Actively participate in global standards meetings, such as 3GPP, IEEE, IETF, etc., while representing Federated Wireless.
* Cooperate with other internal teams in development and execution of strategies to standardize, test, and certify Federated Wireless technologies, products, and services.
* 8+ years of experience in wireless standardization and/or wireless network solution and network architecture research and development.
* Comprehensive expertise in 3GPP LTE system architecture and feature standards, including LTE L2/L3 and EPC System Architecture features, such as paging, handover processes, LTE interface protocols, call processing, parameter optimization, and Quality-of-Service management.
* Knowledge wireless networks, architecture, and communication protocols, including Ethernet, IPv4/IPv6, TCP, UDP, HTTP, UPnP, transport, and mobility protocols.
* Experience in wireless standardization, with specialty in LTE standardization and cellular network system-level simulation.
* Experience gathering customer requirements and end-to-end system engineering and feature development.
* General knowledge of spectrum sharing, the workings of spectrum allocation, and spectrum management processes.
* Experience with public speaking, organizing, and evangelizing.
* Ability to thrive in an innovative, dynamic, and start-up oriented work environment.
* Dedicated, result oriented professional with an attitude for getting the job done.
* Masters (preferably PhD) in related field.
Location: Arlington, VA
Travel: Ability to travel up to 50%