Position Details: Data Center Architect
Duties and Responsibilities:
Execute the duties and responsibilities as a senior member of the Enterprise Server Operations Center (ESOC) Design and Build Converged Engineering Team at the Department of State (DoS) Information Resources Management bureau. Provide senior level engineering design and architecture support to provide enterprise-level solutions using physical and virtual networking technologies, server hosting, and storage solutions. Support the implementation of Hosted Services that utilize VMware systems solutions to connect services within the Data Center LAN as well as remote Data Centers for high availability and redundancy. The senior engineer will have daily interactions with government clients related to meeting technical requirements for ESOC initiatives. Domain knowledge and technical decision-making will have a critical impact on overall project implementation and execution.
- Evaluates, designs, documents, installs, implements, tests, and performs problem isolation for Software Designed Data Center Infrastructure for converged technologies.
- Define processes to maintain all ESOC Infrastructure devices and functions across physical media, Operating Systems, File Systems, protocol stacks & network components.
- Plans; researches; evaluates and recommends new equipment and related technologies. Uses monitoring, performance analysis, network management, software and hardware equipment to troubleshoot and isolate problems; gauge performance and activity.
- Develop and execute contingency plans for infrastructure related software/hardware failures including isolated and major outages.
- Update system and process documentation, produce user guides, diagrams, and SOPs as needed. Including Visio Network design drawings.
- Work with infrastructure teams to satisfy day to day issues and requests. Participate in conference calls with client and assess their needs
- Knowledge of Data Center Architecture’s and designs for large scale Data Centers
- Knowledge of Integrated Converged Stack infrastructure (i.e. VCE Vblock, FlexPod)
- Knowledge and experience with Large Scale Storage Area Network Systems (Design, Build, Operate)
- Knowledge and experience with VMware (Design, Build, Operate)
- Knowledge of IP Networking VPN’s, switching, and routing
- Knowledge of Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) concepts and principles.
- Knowledge of Microsoft File Systems, Operating Systems and Applications
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft OS and Wintel systems
- Systems Engineering background with understanding of Cloud Computing Reference Architecture
- Familiarity with DoS environment (data and voice networks, IT systems, policies and procedures), Foreign Affairs Handbooks (FAHs), Foreign Affairs Manuals (FAMs).
- VMware: VCP 5+ Certified, working knowledge of SRM, VCOPS, SMVI, VCAC
- Networking: Design knowledge and experience with Cisco Network components (switches, routers), Certifications (i.e. CCNA-DC,CCNP,CISSP) CISCO training 7000/5000/1000
- Compute: Design knowledge of Cisco UCS technologies and HP blade technologies. Maintain server/blade hardware include failed component replacement.
- Storage: Design knowledge of EMC Storage Area Network arrays and associated storage systems. Working knowledge with Recover Point, Viper, VCE vision
- ITIL v3.0 Foundations certificate
Years of Experience and Education Requirements:
- A Bachelor’s degree in an information technology or related field or 10 years of progressive, related experience plus graduate level courses;
- Master’s degree or equivalent graduate degree and 7 years related experience in network management.